Fly fishing is a method of angling where the person fishing uses a lure (also called artificial fly) to catch fish. The lure is made using a rod, reel and weighed line. The flies used to attract the fish is something that is made to look like their food. This method of fishing can be done in both fresh and salty waters.
What Makes Fly Fishing Different from Other Forms of Fishing?
There are many things that make fly fishing unique:
- The person fishing is always moving, unlike other forms where they can sit still for hours.
- The bait used is very light (lightweight) and artificial. It does not use live animals such as worms. Instead, they have improvised with artificial bait.
- The line that the person fishing is holding is more substantial compared to other forms of fishing where the bait is heavier.
- This type of fishing is done mostly on water that is moving and not in still water bodies that is typical of other forms of fishing.
Besides these types of differences that can be seen, fly fishing also needs some form of craftsmanship and knowledge to understand how to make the fish bite the bait and how to get it out of water.
Unlike other forms of fishing such as reeling where you can sit with your bottle of beer and keep taking out fish, fly fishing is an adrenaline filled sport where you are constantly thinking of ways to get the fish to bite, how to change position and get the fish out, among other issues.
What to Carry for Fly Fishing?
You do not need to go shopping for fancy wear when you want to try fly fishing. You, however, need the right equipment to ensure you catch fish. Some of the things people who are fly fishing need are:
- Flies: these are the artificial lures that will get the fish to bite. They range in sizes. There are some that are made to look like flies (as the name suggest) and others can look like rodents. The type of fly you use will depend on the kind of fish you are trying to catch.
- Rod and line: these will be attached to the fly to be dipped in water. The line is always heavier than the fly.
- The right attire: The clothes you wear should be well fitting so that you do not feel uncomfortable when you move. You should also layer up for when the weather gets heated up or chilly.
- Food and water: This depends on how long you intend to stay. If you are going to spend a whole day fishing, you should consider carrying some food and water.
Tips on Getting Started with Fly Fishing
Some of the ways to improve your fishing skills are:
- Register for a class: many fly fishing professionals offer amateur training classes at a fee. They will give basic information about fly fishing and provide some hands-on guidance on how to go about it. The classes would sometimes be held near a pond or a water body that has fish so that learners gets to have a feel of it.
- Do research: Even when you have attended class, you should do basic research both online and offline so that you can learn about the types of fish you are likely to catch, how to position yourself while trying to fish. Doing research also involves reaching out to veterans in the fishing field and asking them for advice.
- Hire a guide: If you feel you are not confident about your skills even after doing research and taking a class, then maybe you should consider having a guide. The guide will charge a small fee and accompany you to the fishing ground and give you practical guidance on what to do.
- Keep practising: If you are interested in fly fishing, you should not restrict your practise time to when you are near a water body. While at home, you can practise how to tie your knots on the flies and line.
- Try the lake first: When you are starting out, it is easier for you to go fly fishing at a lake than in a stream or pond. This is because it is easier to see the fly in still water than in raging waters. Once you become a pro, you can go to the stream and get the thrill.
Reasons to Try Fly Fishing
- IIt helps in relieving stress: If you are going through a rough patch in life, you need the shot of adrenaline that fly fishing brings. The moment of fishing and learning is a good distraction to anyone who is feeling a bit depressed.
- It is a fun activity to do with friends: People who are looking for fun things to do with friends should look into going for fly fishing. It is a great way to bond and have fun as you wait for fish to bite. You can even make it competitive by challenging each other on who will catch their first fish.
- It is an excellent way to learn about nature: If you are catching fish, you will learn many things such as the many species that live in water, types of fish, and other information about fishing that you would have otherwise not known. Fishing is also a great way to grow your mind since it challenges you and makes you think.